Site logo

The Cult of Saints in Late Antiquity


from its origins to circa AD 700, across the entire Christian world


Greek inscription labelling a sarcophagus owned by a monastery named after *Mary (Mother of Christ, S00033) as the God-Bearer. Found at Korykos/Corycus (Cilicia, south-east Asia Minor). Probably late 5th or 6th c.

Evidence ID

E01064

Type of Evidence

Inscriptions - Funerary inscriptions

+ σοματ<ο>- (cross in a circle) θίκι μο-
νῆς τῖς Θεοτόκου

'+ Sarcophagus of the monastery of the God-Bearer.'

Text:
MAMA III, no. 779.

Cult Places

Cult building - monastic

Places Named after Saint

Monastery

Source

The lid of a sarcophagus. Letter height 0.07 m. A further inscription, carved on the side of the sarcophagus, states that a certain presbyter Porphyrios was buried in the tomb. Recorded at Korykos in 1891 by Edward Hicks and in 1914 by Adolf Wilhelm.

Discussion

The inscription labels a sarcophagus owned by a monastery named after Mary as the God-Bearer.

Dating: probably late 5th or 6th c. (based on the style of the lettering and sarcophagus).


Bibliography

Edition:
Hagel, St., Tomaschitz, K., (eds.), Repertorium der westkilikischen Inschriften (Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften. Denkschriften der philosophisch-historischen Klasse 265, Ergänzungsbände zu den Tituli Asiae Minoris 22, Vienna: Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, 1998), no. Kry 628.

Monumenta Asiae Minoris Antiqua III, no. 779.


Record Created By

Pawel Nowakowski

Date Last Modified

11/06/2020

Related Saint Records
IDNameName in SourceIdentity
S00033Mary, Mother of ChristΘεοτόκοςCertain


Please quote this record referring to its author, database name, number, and, if possible, stable URL:
Pawel Nowakowski, Cult of Saints, E01064 - http://csla.history.ox.ac.uk/record.php?recid=E01064