Greek inscription from a boundary stone marking the asylum of a church/oratory (eukterios oikos) dedicated to *Mary (Mother of Christ, S00033). Found at Anğarr, near el-Maṣna and Heliopolis/Baalbek in the Beqaa Valley (east Lebanon/southwest Phoenicia). Probably 6th c.
Inscriptions - Formal inscriptions (stone, mosaic, etc.)
οἴκῳ τῆς δεσποί-
νης ἡμῶν τῆς ἁγ(ίας)
Μαρίας ἐκ τῶν εὐ-
'+ Boundaries of the asylum, awarded to the church (eukterios oikos) of Our Lady, the Holy and Glorious God-Bearer (Theotokos) and forever Virgin Mary, by our most pious and Christ-loving emperors.'
Text: IGLS 6, no. 2984.
Cult building - independent (church)Non Liturgical Activity
Seeking asylum at church/shrineProtagonists in Cult and Narratives
Awarding privileges to cult centres
Monarchs and their family
SourceA column situated in front of the Ummayad palace at Anğarr near el-Maṣna (implausibly identified by the editor as Chalcis sub Libano, see: SEG 33, 1252). There is no published description.
Seen and photographed by Maurice Chéhab and transcribed based on his photograph by Henri Seyrig. The transcription was published by Jean-Paul Rey Coquais in 1967.
DiscussionThe inscription marked the boundaries of the asylum of a sanctuary dedicated to Mary. In lines 8-11 we have a reference to unnamed emperors who granted this right of asylum to the said shrine. Other dated boundary stones from the East were usually authorised by 6th c. emperors. Therefore, it is probable that also our inscription dates from the same period.
Rey-Coquais, J.-P., Inscriptions grecques et latines de la Syrie, vol. 6: Baalbek et Beqa’: nos. 2711-3017 (BAH 78, Paris: P. Geuthner, 1967), no. 2984 and Plates L, LI.
Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum 33, 1252.
|ID||Name||Name in Source||Identity||S00033||Mary, Mother of Christ||Μαρία||Certain|
Please quote this record referring to its author, database name, number, and, if possible, stable URL:
Paweł Nowakowski, Cult of Saints, E01954 - http://csla.history.ox.ac.uk/record.php?recid=E01954