Greek account, from Oxyrhynchos (Middle Egypt), concerning the collection of bricks for building works, listing some intended for an institution dedicated to Mary, presumably *Mary (Mother of Christ, S00033), datable to the 6th century.
Documentary texts - List
Late antique original manuscripts - Papyrus sheet
P.Oxy. 18 2197:
This account concerns the collection of bricks from various villages, most likely located on the Apion estate, intended for building enterprises, mostly cisterns and wells, but also religious buildings, as indicated in line 11:
[εἰς] χ̣ρ̣ε̣ίαν τῆ(ς) ἁγί(ας) Μαρίας κ̣[αὶ ̣ ̣ ̣ ̣ ̣ ̣]τ̣ηρο(υ) ὀπτ(όπλινθοι) Γ
'[For] the need of saint Mary [and …] … 3000 bricks.'
(Summary and text: E. Lobel, C. H. Roberts and E. P. Wegener, trans.: G. Schenke)
A complete record of the document with images and bibliography can be found at:
Cult building - unspecifiedNon Liturgical Activity
Bequests, donations, gifts and offerings
SourceThe document was found in Oxyrhynchos and is housed in the Sackler Library at Oxford. Its date is fixed by the document's connection to the Apion family.
Lobel, E., Roberts, C.H., and Wegener, E.P., The Oxyrhynchus Papyri XVIII, published by the Egypt Exploration Society in Graeco-Roman Memoirs (London, 1941), 169–178.
|ID||Name||Name in Source||Identity||S00033||Mary, Mother of Christ||Μαρία||Certain|
Please quote this record referring to its author, database name, number, and, if possible, stable URL:
Gesa Schenke, Cult of Saints, E02346 - http://csla.history.ox.ac.uk/record.php?recid=E02346