John, bishop of Arles (ob. after 668), in a letter to nuns in Arles, mentions that their monastery was dedicated to *Mary (Mother of Christ, S00033). Written in Latin at Arles (southern Gaul), c. 660/c. 668.
Documentary texts - Letters
Letter of John, Bishop of Arles
The letter begins as follows, before going on to discuss disciplinary issues:
Sanctis ac venerandis in Christo sororibus, ipsis quibus sanctae memoriae praedecessor noster Aurelianus episcopus monasterium sanctae Mariae intra muros Arelatensis urbis constituit, praecepta vivendi sancivit, Ioannes, gratia Domini ac Dei nostri Iesu Christi, episcopus.
'John, bishop by the grace of our Lord and God Jesus Christ, to the sisters, holy and venerable in Christ, for whom our predecessor of holy memory Bishop Aurelianus established the monastery of the holy Mary within the walls of the city of Arles and enacted rules for living.'
Text: PL 72. Translation: David Lambert.
Cult building - monasticNon Liturgical Activity
Saint as patron - of a community
SourceJohn's letter to the nuns was included as an appendix to the Regula ad virgines of Aurelianus of Arles (E07947) in the Codex regularum, the collection of monastic rules compiled in the early 9th century by the monastic reformer Benedict of Aniane (ob. 821).
DiscussionThis letter confirms that the female monastic community dedicated to Mary, which had been founded by Bishop Aurelianus of Arles between 546 and 551 (see E07947), was still in existence just over a century later. The precise dates of John's tenure as bishop of Arles are not known, but he is first attested in office in 660, and last attested in 668 (Duchesne 1907, 260).
Migne, J.P., Patrologia Latina 72, 859.
Duchesne, L., Fastes épiscopaux de l'ancienne Gaule. Tome premier: Provinces du Sud-Est, 2nd ed. (Paris, 1907).
|ID||Name||Name in Source||Identity||S00033||Mary, Mother of Christ||Maria||Certain|
Please quote this record referring to its author, database name, number, and, if possible, stable URL:
David Lambert, Cult of Saints, E07948 - http://csla.history.ox.ac.uk/record.php?recid=E07948